Is your hair heat or chemically damaged?
Hair that is subjected to frequent chemical treatments like hair colouring (using synthetic colours), re-texturizing treatments, texture alterations and frequent use of heat styling like flat irons and blow driers, becomes heat or chemically damaged.
Features of Chemically damaged Hair:
- Damaged Hair is extremely dry, frizzy, and unmanageable.
- The hair develops a high number of split ends which keep recurring as the scalp is under nourished and is unable to grow hair with good strength
- Due to extensive damage of the cuticular structure, the hair feels rough
- As the hair is highly porous, it swells quickly in water / when ebing washed and breaks at these points
- Due to poorer production and distribution of natural sebum, the hair loses is natural shine.
- The hair strength and elasticity is also poor: so when tugged, combed, or handled excessively, it breaks easily
Scalp Damage in heat & chemically damaged hair
Over time with more and more frequent chemical hair treatments, the scalp becomes damaged as well. Over 7-8 years of regular global hair colouring, more than 2 hair re-texturization treatments, and regular blow drying and flat ironing can get you there faster.
The nature of the chemical and hair damage is itself enough to affect the scalp. but if we add the number of products we subject this hair to , to make it more manageable (extra conditioning clogging shampoos, conditioners, leave on serums, and styling products), we get both an unhealthy and a clogged scalp.
The Krya Damage Repair hair Oil: an authentic damage repair hair oil made using ayurvedic herbs and organic oils
The Krya Damage Repair hair oil is an authentic, original Krya formulation, designed to treat heat & chemically damaged hair. The oil is formulated to help improve the various symptomatic issues with heat and chemical damage like frizziness, unmanageability, poor shine and texture. It also works deeper at the scalp level to deeply nourish, stimulate the scalp and promote high quality hair growth.
The Krya Damage Repair hair oil is a purely Ayurvedic hair oil formulated using potent Ayurvedic herbs. Like all Krya oils, the Krya Damage Repair Hair oil is manufactured using the Ayurvedic Tila paka manufacturing method. Tila Paka veedhi is an important ayurvedic oil manufacturing process. This is THE process we use at Krya to load nutrients into our Skin & Hair oils helping them work REALLY effectively.
The Tila Paka veedhi process is a TRANSFORMATIVE process. It converts a vegetable oil into a potent, bio active rich oil by transferring the actives from herbs into the oils through this process. One of the reason this process is not used widely is because it is slow, and highly labour intensive . For example, it takes between 6 – 10 hours of SLOW boiling in the Tila Paka Veedhi process to get an oil ready for use. And it needs to be gently stirred throughout this time – so it is really tough to create but totally worth the effort.
The Krya Damage Repair hair oil uses 24 Ayurvedic herbs and 7 cold pressed, organic vegetable oils in the formulation. Many of these herbs are repeated across Swarasa (fresh juice), Kashaya (herb decoction) and Kalpa (herb paste) to increase their potency in the formulation. Each method of extracting them selectively extracts different kinds of actives from the herb / vegetable. The Samhitas guide us with the right extraction method for each herb – so for example, Bhringaraj is always used fresh as a Swarasa / Kalpa, never as a Kashaya as it loses its potency this way. YouYou can read much more about how the Krya Damage repair hair oil has been formulated and exactly how it heals chemical damage in our earlier post on this.
Who can use the Krya Damage Repair hair oil?
The Krya Damage Repair hair oil is useful for hair that has been damaged due to extensive hair colouring, heat treatments, texture alteration treatments, keratin or Brazilian straightening treatments, or even where the water quality is extremely hard making hair stiff, dry, frizzy and weak.
For hair that is in general dry, slightly curly, without heat or chemical damage, we suggest using the Krya Conditioning hair oil. For extensive heat based damage, we suggest using the Krya Damage repair hair oil in combination with either Krya Classic Hair Oil or Krya Classic Plus hair oil to balance Pitta in the head. Please read our “Precautions to take around Damaged Hair” and “Complete Programme for Damaged Hair” tabs for more information and a complete damage healing programme using our products. The Krya Damage Repair hair range and the Krya Damage Repair hair oil can be safely used by pregnant women and nursing mothers.
Other Products to help heal Heat & Chemically Damaged hair
The Krya Damage Repair Hair Oil forms part of our 3 part Damage repair Hair system. The Krya Damage repair Hair Mask is excellent at de-clogging the scalp and further improving blood circulation and stimulating high quality hair growth. It helps cleanse the Srotas in the hair from the residue of the thick chemical based serums, leave on products , conditioners and product build up that is usually a part of the scalp in chemically damaged hair.
The Krya Damage repair Hair wash is an extremely gentle, low foaming, low surfactant, fine hair wash powder. It is an ideal product to gently cleanse heat and chemically damaged hair. It does not damage hair further, alter its pH or strip it further of natural oils.
All these 3 products are available at a slightly discounted price as a part of the Krya Damage repair Hair system.
Heat & Chemically damaged hair tends to be extremely weak, with a high tendency to break and fall when it is handled normally even for everyday activities like combing, hair washing etc. Therefore these precautions must be taken to minimize further damage and hair loss.
- Use a wide toothed comb to comb / de-tangle hair. avoid brushes as much as possible
- Coat your comb with 1-2 drops of Krya Damage repair hair oil before using on hair. This reduces friction between the hair and the comb, reduces breakage and tangling and protects the hair by adding back small amounts of oil to it
- Oil hair very generously before washing – this minimises washing related hair loss. It also seals the hair from water entry minimizing swelling based loss
- Wash hair LESS. In many serious cases of hair damage, we advise hair washing only once a week to prevent hair loss
- Use the Krya damage repair hair wash to wash hair. Synthetic shampoos weaken hair considerably
- Avoid all heat on hair : use only cool water to wash the hair.
- Avoid all heat / manual styling equipment on hair: like manual curlers, flat irons, blow driers (even cool setting).
- Allow hair to air dry – do not vigorously towel dry. Use the towel to blot hair oily – do not rub hair / scalp with it
- Avoid high sunlight on hair or strong wind. When stepping outdoors, wear a scarf to protect hair from the drying influence of wind , strong sun, dust, etc
- Choose hair accessories very carefully: avoid clips, slides, etc. Choose hair scrunchies very carefully – choose preferably silky, non draggy / frictionless material
- Swimming in a chlorinated pol further damages hair. If unavoidable, pre-oil hair generously to seal off hair from chlorine and water in the pool
- Wear kind and low stress hair styles: avoid knots, buns, tight ponytails, complex braids, any upturned hairstyles etc. An oiled loose plait is best – open hair further increases hair loss due to tangling.
Heat & chemically damaged hair takes time to treat and fully eliminate, but it can be done using mild, properly formulated Ayurvedic products. Do not be in a hurry – give it anywhere between 6-9 months depending upon how long standing the problem is in your case.
Products recommended from Krya range: Krya Damage Repair Hair system (all 3 products) to be used as follows:
Week 1 – 3: Start protecting the hair strands and slowly nourishing the scalp
- Start hair strand application using comb method every other day
- On alternate days, apply 3-4 drops of Krya Damage repair hair oil to the scalp as explained in the how to use instruction
- This will start feeding nourishment slowly to hair and protect the hair strand
Week 3 – 5: Start once a fortnight application of the Krya Damage Repair Hair Mask to declog the scalp
- Once in 2 weeks on Hair wash days, after generous oiling, do an application of the Krya Damage repair Hair Mask
- This helps declog the scalp and begins to stimulate hair growth
Week 4 onwards (after one application of Mask) – Add the Krya Damage repair Hair wash to the regimen
- After atleast one application of the hair mask, begin using the Krya Damage Repair hair wash
- Initially wash the hair only once a week. After a month of this, progress to washing the hair twice a week (ONLY if needed)
For very chronic hair damage or combination high heat Damage:
- In cases of very long standing chemical damage or a combination of heat + chemical damage, the hair may need additional support in the form of stronger hair growth stimulating products or Pitta balancing products
- In these cases write to us for further combination ideas to help the hair : Our email id is email@example.com
How long should I continue with this programme?
In our experience damage reversal takes place slowly. expect nothing and commit to clean and holistic eating, and the damage repair hair programme for 6-9 months. additionally explore the Krya blog for diet suggestions to enrich the dhatus and promote stronger hair growth.
Expect nothing and keep committed to this program. Avoid all further chemical / heat damage while working on your hair.
The Krya Damage Repair Hair Oil is a well formulated ayurvedic hair oil made win the Tila Paka veedhi using nourishing, texture improving and healing ayurvedic herbs. For effective results the oil MUST be used as follows:
Using the Hair Oil on non hair wash days as a LEAVE ON Oil
Importance of Leave on oiling in Chemical Damage & Heat Damage:
- Leave On Oiling is helpful in all Hair Oils. However it is IMPERATIVE in Chemically damaged and Heat Damaged hair
- This is because the scalp is often dry, under nourished and unable to support high quality hair growth
- Leaving on the Oil on the scalp allows the scalp to slowly absorb nourishment, a little at a time.
- Often the scalp is dry, hard and inflexible and unable to properly absorb nourishment – therefore the oil has been made using tila paka veedhi so it becomes more subtle and easier to absorb. Normal vegetable oils may be too thick and dense for damaged scalps to properly absorb
- Healing the scalp and improving sebum secretion is critical in healing damaged hair. So you must embrace the act of oiling and should not think of washing the oil off quickly
How to apply Oil as a Leave In:
- Focus on BOTH the scalp and the ends of the hair while using this oil
- The Scalp should be oiled for nourishment; the hair ends should be oiled to help seal them off and so that they can withstand combing, brushing and styling
- Start with LESS Oil and slowly build up oil used per occasion
- Oil hair with 1/4 teaspoon or a few drops of the Oil mixture recommended – use the fingertips and gently but thoroughly massage the entire scalp with the oil
- Do not scratch or use high pressure while massaging the scalp. This will cause more hair fall
- To oil your hair ends, use only 3-4 drops of hair oil – Warm well in the palm and gently apply onto the lower thirds of hair.
- To seal off hair tips apply a thin layer of oil on your comb or brush bristles. Use this to gently comb / brush your hair. This will reduce friction and breakage while styling your hair.
- Oiling should be preferably done in the morning, before bath
- Do Leave-in Oiling 4 – 5 times a week
Wash Off Oiling: To be done every time you wash the hair
- Wash-off oiling is done to protect hair and scalp from the drying effects of washing it.
- This is CRITICAL for damaged hair
- This is a general precaution suggested in Ayurveda to maintain the cuticular structure and hair strength
How to apply Wash-off Oil :
- 1.5 hours before Hair wash, warm the Oil mixture gently in the palms of your hand
- Use warmed oil to first oil the scalp and then coat the hair strands
- Massage the scalp extremely delicately. Use only the fingertips very very delicately. Do not further tangle hair during the massage.
- Take a generous quantity of oil and then delicately coat the complete length of hair very well with the oil. This step is critical to protect the hair strands from breaking during wash. As the natural sebum is less, this supplements the hair, and protects the damaged cuticular layer.
- After oil massage, apply a thin layer of oil on your comb and then slowly and gently comb the hair and de-tangle the hair
- Style hair into a very loose plait or continue the treatment by applying the recommended Hair Mask onto oiled hair and scalp.
Herbs : (in Choorna, Kashaya, Swarasa and Kwatha form)
Amla, Methi, Rosemary, Thyme, Bottlegourd, Beetroot, Coconut Milk, Moringa, Flaxseed , Lemongrass, Neem Leaf
Forest cultivated herbs:
Liquorice, Guduchi, Bala, Punarnava, Haritaki, Manjishta, Kutuja, Henna, Bhringaraj, Hibiscus flower (2 varieties), Rama Tulasi, Ashwagandha
Oils (cold pressed, organic):
Coconut Oil, Sesame Oil, Karanja Oil, Kokum Butter, Apricot Oil, Castor Oil, Tamanu Oil