This blog post will outline the basics of vata dosha and also explain the symptoms of a vata dominant prakriti and symptoms of vata aggravation in the body.
Vata aggravation is of very special concern to us in our work at Krya, as this is a very typical aggravation that is being faced across prakritis today, due to the nature of city living, use of vata aggravating devices like smart phones and the use of very drying and oil removing synthetic soaps and shampoos which further aggravate Vata dosha in the body.
The 3 doshas in our body are made up of the pancha bhootas (Fire, Water, Earth, Air & Space). Each dosha is made of a combination of 2 pancha mahaboothas. Similarly, every taste we are able to discern is also made up of a combination of pancha mahaboothas. Similarly, all vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants, trees, fish, bird, animal – in short everything in the Universe, is made up of these 5 pancha mahaboothas.
Vata is the most powerful dosha in our body – it governs the action of the other 2 doshas in our body as neither have mobility without vata. Vata is made up of air (vayu) + space(akash). This gives Vata dosha the quality of movement, lightness, swiftness and speed.
Functions of Vata Dosha in the body:
Carrier function :
Vata Dosha carries the other doshas where they are supposed to be. So without Vata dosha nothing else can function in the body. When Vata dosha is aggravated in any way, the normal functioning of the other 2 doshas is also affected.
Mobility + Entire Muscular-skeletal structure :
Vata governs all movement & mobility in the body. When Vata dosha is aggravated, we see issues in proper movement and functioning of joints and organs of movement.
Downward movement of waste material, menstrual flow, semen, reproductive functions:
Vata is responsible for timely evacuation of the bowels, to transport out wastes through urine, for proper discharge of menstrual blood, etc. A sub division of Vata dosha, Apana vayu, is responsible for all timely downward movement in the body. Again, when vata dosha is aggravated, we see blocks and impairment in all regular downward movements like urination, bowel movement and menstrual discharge.
Creativity, Positivity & Enthusiasm:
Vata dosha governs your general outlook on life, upbeat mood and “Utsaha” or enthusiasm for life. This occurs only when Vata is in balance. When it is aggravated or moves beyond its normal seat, you may develop nervousness, anxiety and restlessness. In amounts less than normal, you may feel completely down in the dumps, with no cheerfulness and not interested in life.
Rajas / Cohesion in the body:
Cohesion in the body ensures that our limbs work in tandem with the body. Rajas also ensures hair growth is deep rooted and firm.
Symptoms of Vata derangement:
We have seen from the above list, how important Vata dosha is to the normal functioning of our body. Now we will look at the signs and symptoms of Vata derangement in the body.
Please go through these symptoms and answer yes / no to this – the more “yes” answers you see, the more deranged your Vata dosha probably is.
Vata derangement affecting Mind and moods:
- I think and worry excessively
- I think of the same thing over and over again
- I feel a sense of nervousness, anxiety, panic and fear often
- I am full of enthusiasm while starting something, which exhausts very quickly. Working in spurts and bursts than consistently
- I am very active, sometimes restless, but I have low stamina
- I am easily exhausted and irritable
- I tend to experience highs and lows in my moods quite easily.
Joints & tendons affected by Vata derangement :
- My neck and other joints feel stiff, often
- I often develop twitches and tics in the eyes and lips
- I experience sudden spasms and pain in the muscles
- My bones hurt and I can hear a creaking sound in the joints
Skin changes due to Vata derangement:
- My skin has darkened
- My skin feels dry and rough patchy skin
- My skin is dry or chapped
- I am seeing skin wrinkles showing up prematurely
- My skin is dry and lustreless
- I have dark circles under the eyes and general darkening of complexion
- My skin “drinks” oil when applied – I am shocked at the amount of oil it easily absorbs when applied
Sleep quality changes
- My sleep is light and often interrupted
- I find it easy to stay up late.
- Sometimes I find it very difficult to fall asleep, tossing and turning.
Appetite and Digestion issues with Vata aggravation
- I have constipation, gas, bloating, dry, hard stools
- I have low body weight or varying body weight (I can put on and bring down weight very easily)
- My appetite and digestion is irregular/variable: I feel extremely hungry on one day and loss of appetite on another
Nails and Hair changes due to Vata derangement
- My nails are hard, brittle, rough and cracked
- My hair is dry, rough and coarse and tangles easily
- My hair lacks strength – it falls easily on tugging / pulling / brushing / combing
- My eyes become dull very quickly
- I feel very good after scalp oil application – I tend to feel much calmer and peaceful
Climate , environment and reaction to it:
- I dislike the cold and the wind
- I am unable to tolerate loud noises, certain musical notes / pitches
- I love the heat and feel ‘active’ after getting sun
- My periods are irregular – varying arrival dates, varying number of days
- I experience scanty blood flow in my periods
- The menstrual blood is not bright red, it sometimes tends to be dull red with a brownish tinge
Teeth and gums
- I often have teeth and gum problems
- My teeth are sensitive to cold
Lifestyle issues that aggravate Vata dosha
- Excessive use of gadgets for work or entertainment
- Long commutes, late nights, eating out often
- High amount of talking – especially on cell phone
- I am always stimulating my mind – I am on whatsapp, checking facebook, watching tv, reading a newspaper – I am constantly supplying my mind with stimulation
- It is very difficult for me to sit still, in one place and focus on one thing at a time, especially when I am excited.
Krya often receives glowing testimonials and feedback from consumers who are surprised by how well our products work well for them. Generally public opinion presumes that purely natural products, while benign, are not fast acting and do not offer superior results. Hence the surprise, when Krya’s products work so well for them.
Natural products are only as good as the framework and philosophy they are based on. We always say that our products work well, because they follow exactly the principles, frameworks and philosophy laid down in the Ayurvedic texts.
The Ayurvedic texts give us an accurate, reliable and exhaustive method of understanding our prakriti and also understanding exactly what happens to us when our doshas are deranged. When we understand exactly what is happening to the body, it is easier to predict what herbs and products can counter these changes and help the body back to a state of health.
We hope this post gave you deeper insights into the nature of Vata dosha and how this important dosha affects you.