Frequent chemical treatments tend to damage hair. Stylists and trichologists tell us that we can only cover up the damage, but cannot heal hair. But, when we understand the “hetu” or cause of damage, and treat it holistically, we can solve even the unsolvable. This post will examine how we can heal chemically damaged hair through the wisdom of Ayurveda.
Imbalances seen in Chemically damaged hair
Chemically treated hair usually exhibits a few characteristic imbalances. Pitta and vata dosha of the hair system is aggravated and imbalanced. This explains the use of adjectives like “fried”, “dry like straw”, “Rough and lifeless”, “texture like hay” to describe chemically damaged hair.
Pitta imbalance in chemically damaged hair is caused by the use of high heat and heat aggravating chemicals. This dries out the hair strands and damages the sebum balance in the scalp. So hair thins faster, greys prematurely and the scalp is dry, itchy and irritable.
Vata imbalance is also high in chemically damaged hair . This due to the drying nature of heat and chemical treatment. This in turns slows down sebum production in the scalp and cuts off supply of nutrients to the hair follicle. This results in dry, parched scalp and coarse, rough, straw-like hair strands.
Scalp damage and change in hair texture and growth patterns
Chemical damaged hair goes with a damaged and toxin filled scalp. The pitta and vata imbalance in the hair results in slower hair growth. The scalp is also unable to support the growth of long hair duet to a weak supply of nutrients. The new hair that grows is usually much thinner, weaker, much more liable to breaking and usually much shorter than the original length.
The Krya Damage repair hair oil – an ayurvedic oil that heals chemically damaged hair
Ayurveda lists keshya (herbs meant for hair care) into 3 categories: Keshya “sanjana” (to help hair originate or form), Keshya “vardhana” (to promote hair length and growth), and Keshya ranjana (to restore natural hair colour, improve hair darkness and delay hair greying). A lot of attention is paid in Ayurveda to reduce excess pitta from building up on the scalp. This is because as we have mentioned, the brain and the eyes are both originators of heat and this heat tends to accumulate on hair and scalp. When this excess pitta energy builds up in the hair, it accelerates hair greying.
In Chemically damaged hair, there is already a build up of excess Pitta energy: so the use of Keshya Ranjana herbs helps bring down this imbalanced Pitta dosha.
The result: hair thinning and premature greying is slowed down.
We use Keshya Vardhana herbs to reduce teh vata aggravation in the hair, and imporve hair length, hair thickness and improve hair’s texture.
The result: Hair is glossier, softer, smoother and is able to support growth of long hair
Krya’s damage repair hair oil,also uses scalp detoxifying and clarifying herbs . These herbs stimulate blood circulation, help remove toxins and revitalise the hair system.
Krya damage repair hair oil: ingredients
In the current formulation of the Krya Damage repair hair oil, we used 25 different forest collected and organic herbs, fruits, vegetables and cold pressed oils to help nourish, detoxify and heal chemically damaged hair. We have listed the properties of a few of these herbs below.
Beetroot : detoxifies scalp, stimulates hair growth in chemically damaged hair
The beetroot (Beta vulgaris) is a healing organic vegetable that goes into the Krya Damage repair hair oil. The roots and leaves of Beetroot have been used in traditional medicine across the world from ancient times to treat a variety of disease.
Beetroots are a very rich source of betains (the red and yellow pigment group) and carotenoids. This combination of coloured pigments has good anti inflammatory and detoxifying effects when consumed internally and also on topical application. Biotin supplements are now currently a range and are being prescribed for severe hair loss. Beetroot is a good source of bio available biotin and folate, and pantothenic acid (vitamin b5).
Beetroots , when added to the Krya Damage repair hair oil, help detoxify the scalp and stimulate high quality hair growth.
Krya tip: Please include organic beetroots atleast twice a week into your diet to help detoxify the system internally and improve bio-available biotin in your body.
Ashwagandha: promotes thicker and fuller hair growth in chemically damaged hair
Ashwagandha is the Ginseng of Indian medicine. It is a famous rejuvenative, growth promoting and aphrodisiac herb. The herb is prescribed to build general immunity, for its anti aging (rasayana) effects and to build strength and well being in the body.
In the Krya Damage repair hair oil, Ashwagandha is used to detoxify the scalp and promote healthy growth of hair. The use of Ashwagandha helps promote thicker, fuller and faster hair growth in chemically damaged hair.
Brahmi: improves hair texture of chemically damaged hair
We have written many times about the healing power of this tiny, power-packed amazing Ayurvedic herb. Brahmi is an important herb to nourish the brain and is used in Ayurveda to help children’s brains develop well and also in elderly people to support the nervous system and to retard diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
Brahmi is a critical hair care herb which we use in oils like the Krya harmony hair oil and the Krya kids hair oil. In both these oils, we use a high proportion of Brahmi to reduce stress and to support the function of the young, growing brain.
Brahmi is very useful in the Krya Damage repair hair oil to reduce high Vata, and to improve hair texture and growth.
- Guduchi (forest collected)
- Khadira (forest collected)
- Liquorice (forest collected)
- Manjishta (forest collected)
- Nutgrass (forest collected)
- Rosemary (organically grown)
- Ram Tulsi (organically grown)
- Amla (organically grown)
- Bottle gourd (organically grown)
- Banana Stem (organically grown)
- Bhringaraj (organically grown)
- Moringa (organically grown)
- Almond (organically grown)
- Hibiscus flower (organically grown)
- Henna (organically grown)
- Curry Leaf (organically grown)
- Castor Oil (cold pressed and organic)
- Kokum Butter (cold pressed and organic)
- Coconut Oil (cold pressed and organic)
- Sesame Oil (cold pressed and organic)
- Tamanu Oil (cold pressed and organic)
- Apricot Oil (cold pressed and organic)
- (cold pressed and organic)
To sum up: Heal Chemical damage naturally
Over processed hair and chemically damaged hair is hard to care for. You are told that you cannot fix or treat this hair and asked to invest in more and more damaging chemical treatments to mask the way your hair grows. Instead, Ayurveda provides a true holistic ray of hope. We hope this post gave you a glimpse of how Krya thinks about, researches and formulates products for you. we also hope this post inspired you to seek out solutions to help holistically heal chemically damaged hair.
If you too have chemically damaged hair and would like to try out our natural solutions, please explore the links given below. In case you have any queries on the same, please write to us.
Krya’s products to heal chemically damaged hair
- Krya Damage Repair hair wash – mild, gentle, does not irritate stressed out scalp, and helps detoxify the scalp
- Krya Damage repair Hair Mask with Marigold & Moringa – nourishing and healing and helps nourish damaged hair and detoxifies the scalp. a must to heal chemically damaged hair.
- Krya Damage repair Hair oil – our cornerstone damage repairing and hair re-vitalising ayurvedic oil. Packed with rich ayurvedic herbs and cold pressed organic oils, the oil restores gloss, shine and health to hair. It detoxifies the scalp and stimulates fresh, healthy, deep rooted new hair growth.
- Krya Damage repair Hair revitalising system: All 3 of the above at a special price
How to use the Damage Repair Hair System
Krya’s safe , all natural hair colours to help you STOP further damage:
- Krya’s all-natural, 3 basic hair colours : Made with hair nourishing and scalp detoxifying Ayurvedic herbs
- Krya’s all-natural Creamy Colour Strengthening hair Mask with Marigold & Moringa : naturally conditions hair, improves gloss and helps lock in natural colours better onto hair
- Krya’s nourishment packed, ayurvedic Krya classic plus hair oil for naturally coloured hair: seals in colour, locks in moisture, detoxifies scalp and promotes healthy hair growth