Are you worried about the carcinogens and suspicious synthetics in the baby care products you have been buying? Looking for a truly natural, genuine, safe Ayurvedic baby massage oil? Read on, for a short introduction to the benefits of an Ayurvedic baby massage routine .
Krya baby massage oils: recent feedback received
“Hello Team Krya,
I have been using this baby massage oil for my baby since she was 1 month old. This is really good. My baby is feels good and fresh after taking message with this oil. This is 100% better than those synthetic and chemical baby massage oils”. – Amit
It’s not mild, its carcinogenic : why chemical baby products are toxic and un-safe
A Missouri based jury passed a verdict last year asking Johnson & Johnson to pay damages of 72 million dollars to the family of Jacqueline Fox. The jury concluded that her death by ovarian cancer was linked to her daily use (of over 30 years) of Johnsons baby powder and Shower to shower talcum powder.
A study by the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics studied baby and children’s products for the presence of 2 chemicals – 1,4 dioxane and formaldehyde. These 2 chemicals are probable human carcinogens formed as toxic by products when certain chemicals are present in a product. The research study showed that over 61% of the baby products surveyed contained these 2 chemicals in more than trace quantities.
1,4 dioxane is a by product formed when sulphates like SLeS (Sodium Laureth sulphate), polyethylene, polyethylene glycol , ceteareth, oleth, oxynol, -xynol, and PEG are present in products. A quick read of the back of label of many baby products would find many of these chemicals listed in your baby’s “gentle shampoo” or “mild bodywash”.
Therefore most chemical baby products are un-safe, toxic and dangerous to use on everyone, especially vulnerable babies.
Why is your baby’s skin so vulnerable to chemicals?
Human skin is the largest sense organ in our body. It is considered the seat of the Indriyas / sense organs and is literally the seat of sight, sense, touch, feeling and hearing. Skin is our first barrier layer and helps protect our internal organs from damage and bacteria. It is a marvel of bio engineering and hosts a massive colony of micro organisms . This colony helps ensure a constant pH of 5.5 on skin, with an acidic mantle that keeps harmful organisms away from us.
The skin and hair structure in children is one of the last major systems to be formed. The sweat glands which help regulate temperature, eliminate toxins from our body and help maintain the skin’s natural acid mantle takes upto 3 years to form. This means that babies stay sweet smelling longer, but this also means that their body does not have the mechanism to readily eliminate toxins like adults do.
The harmful effects of SLS & SLeS - one of the many synthetics in baby care products
This means that they can handle far smaller toxic loads than adults . Therefore it is critical to choose a safer, more natural skin care solution for babies. Genuine, carefully manufactured ayurvedic baby skin care products should be your first option
Ayurvedic baby skin care: a 5000 year old science
Ayurveda is considered a divine science in India, handed down directly from the Gods to Man. Ayurveda has 8 branches of which “Kaumara bhrityam” or Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Child care forms an important branch.
Samudra Manthan (Churning of the Ocean) which gave Ayurveda to the world
While Kaumara bhrityam has been dealt with in portions of the Rig Veda and even Purana Granthas like the Garuda-Purana, Kumara-sambhava and even the Artha Shastra, the Ayurvedic text which has the most material devoted to Kaumarabhritya is the Kashyapa Samhita.
Ayurevdic baby massage is an integral part of baby skin care. Taila Abhyanga Snana (baby massage with oil followed by herbal bath) is advised to be done daily for a baby starting from the first week of birth.
Typically Ayurveda recommends that baby massage be done first with Bala Tailam. This helps the newborn get rid of the exhaustion after child birth. Medicated herbal water made with a decoction of herbs like Bilwa (Aegle marmalos), and other aromatic herbs (sarvagandha dravyas). Bilwa is a powerful and renowned herb used in religious practices in India.
Bilwa leaf used to worship Lord Shiva
We can see from the above description, how detailed, through and holistic Ayurvedic baby skin care is.
The deep connection between the Skin and the body as per Ayurveda:
The skin (Tvacha) in Ayurveda is said to be made of 6 layers. These 6 layers form from the blood while undergoing metabolic activity – this formation is described similar to the layers of cream that form when milk is boiled.
Therefore, in disorders of the skin, herbs and regimens that treat the blood at an underlying level are advised. Similarly, Ayurveda recognises that what is applied at an external level on the skin also has the twin capacity of treating the blood underneath . So, many blood based disorders are treated through herbal lepa (pastes) applied on the skin. This way, the herbs reach the blood and also influence the lymph secretions and the “rasa dhatu”.
Once we understand this connection, we also understand how critical it is to choose what we apply on baby’s skin. Chemical products and carcinogenic ingredients are highly unsafe and can damage baby’s health. On the contrary, a regular baby massage with an ayurvedic baby oil is safe and nourishing for baby’s skin. This practice also helps increase baby’s immunity, prevent infections and aid healthy bone and joint development.
The 5 tenets of Ayurvedic baby skin care:
Ayurveda recommends 5 tenets to care for your baby.
- Taila Abhyanga – baby massage using the correct ayurvedic baby massage oil
- Herbal Snana – Cleansing of baby’s skin using the correct ayurevdic baby ubtan followed by a bath using warm water or warm medicated water
- Purification of the nursery and surroundings using prayer, meditation and chanting
- Washing the baby’s linen and clothing using a prescribed mixture of herbs
- Fumigation of the nursery and baby’s clothing and linen using a prescribed mixture of herbs.
Each of the above steps are not just to care for baby’s skin. They also help build immunity, improve disease resistance, protect baby’s skin, keep down mucous accumulation and care for baby’s health.
Taila Abhyanga – Ayurvedic baby massage:
Taila Abhyanga - essential Ayurvedic baby care practice
Skin needs to constantly interact with the environment and continuously facilitate toxin removal. Srotas are thin, tube like structures in skin, through which toxins are removed. When we apply a moisturizing product after Snana, the Srotas can get clogged. If a petroleum based, synthetic moisturiser is used, the srotas are fully blocked. When srotas are blocked, the skin is unable to do heat exchange properly. This traps excess heat within the body. Skin is also unable to eliminate waste products properly. This is why Ayurveda insists on pre-bath moisturization with a herbal taila, and not post bath moisturization.
Herbs chosen for the ayurvedic baby massage
The herbs chosen for an infant’s Ayurvedic baby massage are carefully selected. Bala is a commonly used herb in Baby oils in Ayurveda. Bala is a famous Ayurvedic herb that aids regulation of vata dosha. It removes muscle fatigue and exhaustion. Bala helps growing infants develop a healthy muscle and bone structure.
Bala (Sida cordifolia) - a powerful vata balancing and growth stimulating Ayurvedic herb
Manjishta is another common herb selected for an ayurvedic baby massage oil. Manjishta is an excellent herb that helps increase the microcirculation of the srotas in the skin, and improves the circulatory function. It is a good blood purifier and a famous “varnya” (complexion enhancing) herb.
Warming herbs like Tulsi often are used in preparations meant for infants. The Puranas compare Tulsi to “amrit” or the nectar that rose from the churning of the ocean and say just like amrit which gives ayu (long life), Tulsi is to be sought after and cherished.
Tulsi - compared to "Amrit" in Indian tradition and revered for its ability to enhance physical endurance
Modern Science and research confirms what Ayurveda and long held Indian tradtion says about Tulsi: that it can cure both mental stress and enhance physical endurance.
In ayurvedic baby skin care preparations, Tulsi helps boost the overall immune system. It also adds warmth to the body, and is an anti bacterial and insect repellent.
Baby massage is a key part of the 5000 year old Ayurvedic baby skin care routine . When this is practiced, baby’s skin and health are both benefited. This is especially critical in the first year of baby’s life.
The texts speak about multiple benefits of the Ayurvedic baby massage routine with an Ayurvedic taila. At an immediate level, the ayurvedic baby massage relieves exhaustion, balances excess vata dosha, reduces high pitta dosha and improves the baby’s appetite, digestive power and allows for peaceful, undisturbed sleep. As a bonus, the taila abhyanga is an excellent skin aid – with this regular practice, the skin’s health and functioning is maintained, without sacrificing cleanliness or its receptivity to the environment.
The process of Ayurvedic baby massage is also extremely enjoyable to the baby. So it helps establish the vital connection and emotional bond between a Mother and the baby.
At a long term level, the Ayurvedic baby massage helps muscle development, correct minor growth deformities and aids proper growth and functioning of all large muscle groups and joints.
Krya’s products for an ayurvedic baby massage (Taila Abhyanga):
Krya has 3 products for Taila abhyanga for your baby:
- Krya traditional baby oil with Bala & Ashwagandha
- Made using a traditional, Ayurveda inspired formulation, Krya’s traditional baby massage oil uses time tested, powerful Ayurvedic herbs like Bala, Ashwagandha Vacha, Tulsi and Manjishta for your baby’s daily Taila Abhyanga. Regular use helps keep skin healthy and nourished and support’s baby’s growing immunity and health.
- Krya Nourishing baby massage oil with Palmarosa & Rose
- Made using traditional skin nourishing and healing herbs like the sacred Durva grass, Moringa, Indian Liquorice and Lodhra, this oil is a rich, skin oil that is free from petroleum by products like Light Liquid Paraffin (White / Mineral oil), parabens, synthetic preservatives, synthetic fragrances, silicones, thickeners and colours. Infused with natural Organic Palmarosa and Organic Rose petals
- Krya Nourishing baby massage oil with Lemongrass & Grapefruit
- Made using traditional skin nourishing and healing herbs like the sacred Durva grass, Moringa, Indian Liquorice and Lodhra, this oil is a rich, skin oil that is free from petroleum by products like Light Liquid Paraffin (White / Mineral oil), parabens, synthetic preservatives, synthetic fragrances, silicones, thickeners and colours. Infused with natural Organic Lemongrass and Organic Grapefruit leaf
Krya’s toxin free home care products for baby:
- Krya All natural Classic Soapberry detergent (can be used in a machine) – made fromm organic, forest collected whole soapberries. Completely toxin free, and hypoallergenic and safe on delicate skin. Free from LABSA, Enzymes, Phosphates, Fillers, Bleaches, Enzymes and other Chemicals. Completely Chemical free and made from whole plants. Compostable & Biodegradable product . Environmentally safe, Does not harm aquatic life . Grey water generated can be recycled in the garden. Recommended for baby’s nappies, diapers, clothing and linen
- Krya All Natural Classic Dishwash Powder : made from whole organic and forest collected herbs. Completely toxin free, and hypoallergenic and safe on delicate skin. Free from LABSA, Enzymes, Phosphates, Bleaches, Colours, Fragrance & other Additives . Hypoallergenic, Toxin & Synthetic free, Made from Ayurvedic herbs . De-greases and cleans dishes thoroughly , yet Gentle and Safe on skin . Compostable & Biodegradable product . Environmentally safe, Does not harm aquatic life . Grey water generated can be filtered to remove kitchen wastes & then recycled. Recommended for baby’s bottles and other dishes.