• Made from sun-ripened , hand picked forest collected soapberries of 3 different species from 4 different geographical regions in India. We source soapberries from different regions and mix them together in order to obtain the beneficial properties that incur from growing in different geographies and climates.
• Contains steam distilled, organic Citriodora essential oil
• Contains no artificial additives like colours, thickeners, synthetic fragrances, enzymes, bleaches or any other potentially toxic synthetics
• Made from a fruit and not petroleum ( the base for chemical detergents)
• Works in both front-load and top-load washing machines and in a bucket wash.
• Washes clothes really well.
• Gentle on Fabric and keeps it soft
• Maintains Colour and Texture
• Safe on skin
• Naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal in action
• Biodegradable and compostable residue
• Cruelty free and Vegan (no animal derived ingredients)
Also Recommended for
- Fabric and garments that are high in sweat, odours and dust like bed linen, curtains, machine and hand washable carpets and dhurries
- Baby’s cloth nappies, burp cloths, bed linen and clothes to thorough clean leaving behind only clean and fresh fabric. When used for fabrics being directly handled by baby like clothing, burp clothes and any fabric that baby chews on, DILUTE the scented detergent with the Krya classic detergent (25 scented:75 classic) and rinse the garments twice in the machine.
- For reusable cloth sanitary napkins, DILUTE the scented detergent with the Krya classic detergent (50 scented:50 classic) and rinse the garments twice in the machine.
Do NOT use for:
- Whites and light coloured garments
- Modern re-usable cloth diapers which use TPU and PUL layersThis is because the fragrance in this detergent comes from an essential oil. In certain cases, depending upon the nature of the garment and water, the essential oil may stain the garment. In the case of modern cloth diapers, most companies recommend that essential oils should not be used to wash the diapers as it may coat the tpu / PUL layer and reduce moisture absorption.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should NOT use this detergent in handwash. They can use this detergent to machine wash garments. Do not handle powder directly and only use a spoon.
Difference between synthetic fragrances and the essential oil used in Krya’s products
- Krya uses only pure essential oils, extracted from organically grown plant based materials to add natural fragrance to our scented products. We usually use essential oils that have been steam distilled and not solvent extracted to maintain higher standards of environmental sustainability. We use natural essential oils in our scented products as they are safer, less toxic and milder and more environmentally sustainable compared to synthetic fragrances
- Essential oils can be extracted from different plant parts of fragrant plants like leaves, roots, stems and barks. In leaves, the volatile essential oil component is roughly 1 – 2% of the leaf weight. So to extract 1 kilo of essential oil from Citriodora leaves , for example, we have to start with atleast 100 kilos of good quality, properly harvested, shade dried Citriodora leaves.
- Synthetic fragrances are chemical mimics and are generally constituted by manufacturing chemical compounds which mimic natural fragrances. Natural fragrances are extremely complex, so to manufacture a chemical substitute to a good natural fragrance like Citriodora, a manufacturer will sometimes use more than 100 individual chemical compounds. Manufacturers are protected by Law from declaring what goes into their synthetic fragrance, so everytime you use a product that contains a synthetic fragrance you could be inhaling or rubbing on yourself chemical compounds that can irritate skin, trigger asthma, irritate the eyes or even be potential carcinogens.
- Natural essential oil based fragrances are extremely mild compared to their synthetic counterparts. So your clothes after a wash will only have a mild hint of the essential oil we have put into the detergent.
Documented benefits of Citriodora essential oil
- Citriodora is also called Lemon eucalyptus and is extracted from the leaves and twigs of the Lemon scented Gum eucalyptus plant, Eucalyptus citriodora or Corymbia citriodora. The natural essential oil has a pale, yellow colour and thin consistency. It smells sweet, fresh, and lemony with a woody scent.
- Citriodora oil has a number of health benefits including its action against colds, coughs, fevers and flu. It also has a researched benefit to repel flying insects like mosquitoes and is much safer compared to DEET.
Safety of Krya scented detergent with Citriodora oil
- We have used organic Citriodora oil in a does considered both mild and safe in the Krya detergent. Can be safely used for all kinds of fabric except the ones detailed above.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, please do NOT use this product in hand wash to be on the safe side. You can safely use this product in machine wash. Always use a spoon to handle the powder and do not use your hands to directly does the powder to be on the safe side.
General Safety of Citriodora Essential oil
- Citriodora oil is generally considered safe when applied on adult skin after being diluted with a carrier oil to repel insects
- It is not recommended for direct skin use for pregnant and breastfeeding women
- It can be an eye irritant. If it enters your eyes, please wash out the eyes well in cold water and have them examined by a doctor.
- Keep away from children and pets to avoid any accidental consumption.
For both top-load and front-load machines
• Lightly brush any spots, stains, or dirty cuffs and collars using a thick paste of Krya detergent and water and a soft clothes brush.
• For a full load, put one tablespoon of the Krya detergent into the cotton pouch that comes along with the detergent powder.
• Securely tie the mouth of the bag with a double knot.
• Drop the bag along with the clothes into the drum of the washing machine and wash as usual.
• For better results, run the soak function (for upto 20 minutes) to give the detergent more time to work on your clothes.
• After the wash load is completed, remember to remove the cloth pouch from the machine. The detergent residue in the bag is fully bio-degradable and can be dropped into your potted plants or garden as plant food.
• Dry the wet cotton pouch along with clothes to get it ready for the next use.
For hand wash (bucket-wash)
1. Lightly brush any spots, stains, or dirty cuffs and collars using a thick paste of Krya detergent and water and a soft clothes brush.
2. Put one tablespoon of Krya detergent into the cotton pouch and tie the bag securely with a double knot.
3. Put the pouch into a dry bucket and turn the tap on.
4. Soak your laundry in the detergent water for about 20 minutes before starting your wash.
5. Squeeze the pouch well to extract the detergent and now wash as usual.
6. Shake out any detergent residue that may remain on the washed clothes before line drying them.
7. Remember to remove the cloth pouch from the bucket. The detergent residue in the bag is fully bio-degradable and can be dropped into your potted plants or garden as plant food.
8. Dry the wet cotton pouch along with clothes to get it ready for the next use.
• Store in an dry, airtight container
• Use only a dry spoon to measure out the krya detergent.
• If your powder gets lumpy because of moisture, dry it in the sun for a couple of hours and store it back in your container. You can also simply crush the lumps with your fingers and use the powder as usual
Additional washing instructions
1. A warm water wash gives better results – running your machine in the afternoon will give you a warm water wash without using up more electricity as the water in your tank and the pipes would be naturally heated.
2. After each wash, compost the detergent residue in your garden or potted plants and dry the cotton pouch. Wash the cotton pouch with the rest of your laundry every 2 – 3 cycles to keep it clean.
3. Line dry your clothes inside out, keeping dark colours and black garments in the shade. If you line dry them over a longer period so that they dry slowly, your clothes will feel fluffier and softer.
- Unlike other detergents, no water is used or wasted in the manufacturing of this product.
- The farm we source soapberries from follows dry land horticulture – which means that it only uses rainwater for the crops. No external water source (irrigated water) is used on the farm, which makes it efficient and water positive.
- Unlike other detergents, Krya detergent is hypoallergenic and low foaming. You only need to do a single rinse for most laundry. Please set your washing machine cycle to a single rinse to save water.
- All wash water that you generate while using the Krya detergent is immediately re-usable. It can be safely directed to your plants or your rainwater harvesting channel .If this is not possible, you could also collect the water from the last rinse to mop your floor or clean your bathrooms.
- Outer carton is made from corrugated paper which is made from recycled paper. This carton can be further recycled along with old newspapers. Corrugated cartons carry high value in the recycling system and are sought after by recyclers.
- Inner cover is made from high grade (100 micron) clear, unprinted virgin HDPE. By using this gauge and grade of plastic, and by not printing on the plastic cover, we have created a packaging layer that has reasonable chance of getting recycled. After emptying the detergent powder into an airtight container, rinse out the cover and leave it to dry. Once dry, the cover can be recycled along with other similar high grade plastic packaging, or re-used inside the home.
Bio-degradable detergent residue
- After the wash cycle with the krya detergent, some residue of fibres will be left behind in the cotton pouch. Remember to remove the cloth pouch from the machine. The detergent residue in the bag is fully bio-degradable and can be dropped into your potted plants or garden as plant food.
- We use essential oils that extract volatile oils only from organically grown plant material. While this is much more expensive and difficult to source, this ensures that we do not support the large scale degradation of land, poisoning of natural resources and loss of lives that comes from the synthetic pesticide and fertiliser fuelled agricultural system
- We generally follow the steam distillation process when extracting oils. The yield in this process is slightly less compared to the solvent extraction method. But this ensures that our process is greener and much more environmentally sustainable and does not use suspect chemicals in the process of extraction.
To sum up, we have ensured that every part of the Krya detergent from the carton, the inner cover, the wash water from the machine and the detergent residue, can be safely recycled. By following the simple recycling methods given above, you can tread lightly on the planet and get closer to the ideal of zero waste generated from your laundry.