The benefits of hair oil for your Child:
- At Krya, we recommend the regular and frequent use of a good quality hair oil for adults. However, the practice of oiling in Indian traditional medicine gives many other health benefits apart from a healthy head of hair. Oiling the scalp and hair is considered extremely beneficial to reduce excess pitta in the body. Oiling also helps calms down the entire body, relaxes the nerves and aids in giving sound and restful sleep.
- For babies and children, oiling acts as an extra support to their as-yet under developed body and organ systems. A good hair oil stimulates healthy hair growth, repairs the damage caused by harsh shampoos, and relaxes the body aiding sound sleep.
- Charaka, Sushruta and Vaghbatta are unanimous in their use of the abhyanga to promote good health. The Charaka Sutra, Chapter 5V-86 says this: “Susparsopachitaan gascha Balavaan Priyadarsanah. Bhavati Abhyanga Nityatwaat Naro Alpajara eva cha”. “A man who constantly (daily / regularly) takes abhyanga, possesses limbs which are smooth to touch and which are well developed (Upachita). The man will also be strong, be lovely to look at and will have very little appearance of old age on his person.” Charaka further says this: “Na Chabhigaataabhihatam Gaatramabhyangasevinah Vikaaram bhajat atyartham balakarmani Vaa Kwachit” . “A man who habitually takes Abhyanga is not affected by external injuries; even if he has to perform very heavy and tiring work, he will not be affected by any illness after this work.”
- Regular oil application on your child's hair comes with many wonderful benefits. Besides improving the texture and health of the hair, oiling keeps the scalp’s sebum levels in balance, improves circulation in the scalp, deep cleans the scalp and lifts dead cells and dirt, and stimulates the roots.
Difference between the Krya Kids hair oil and the Krya adult hair oil
- Our adult range of hair oils contain a slightly different combination of herbs. We also use a much higher proportion of herbs in order to repair the damage often seen on adult hair and scalp.
- Compared to the Krya baby hair oil, the Krya Kids hair oil has a much higer proportion of herbs, but less than the Krya hair oils for adults. This oil, like the Krya baby hair oil relies on raditional ayurvedic herbs like Brahmi, which are prescribed for both internal consumption and external application for children. Brahmi helps boost memory and aids neurological development. It also relaxes and cools the scalp and removes stress and excess pitta. Our Kids hair oil also has a much higher proportion of cold pressed, organic base oils compared to our adult hair oils.
How the Krya Kids oil is made :
- The Krya Kids Hair Oil is made using a classical 3-part Ayurvedic method combining Taila ( oil ) , Kashayam ( Aqueous Extract ) and Kalpa ( paste) .This is a method unique to Indian traditional medicine, where the nutrients inside herbs are extracted in both water and oil - this ensures that every part of the herb is extracted into the oil, giving you an oil which is both powerful and "sookshma" (capable of penetrating even the minute cells). This process alone takes us between 6 - 8 hours of constant manual stirring to ensure the oil mainatins a perfect consistency and the herbs do not get burned.
- After processing the base oil and base herbs, we further add raw, cold pressed , organic oils and let the herbs steep for more time to ensure their nutrient properties are fully transferred to the oil. This cold infusion process takes us a further 7 days - so every batch of oil takes us 8 days to manufacture. At the end of the hot processing and the cold infusion process, the texture of the oil changes and the oil is extremely different from its basic nature - so even though heavy oils like sesame and coconut are used, the end oil is much lighter, less sticky and penetrates hair and scalp much faster than the base oil.
- Herb Infused Oil: Forest collected Brahmi, Organic Indian gooseberry, Organic Yellow Eclipta, Forest collected nutgrass, Organic Curry Leaf, Organic hibiscus flower processed in cold pressed and organic oils (Coconut, sesame)
- Base Oil - Organic cold pressed Coconut Oil ,Organic cold pressed Sesame Oil
- Traditionally, hair is never left un-oiled. This protects hair from the sun, makes it easy to manage, and keeps it from becoming dry.
- Massage a few drops of the Krya Kids hair oil every other day into child's scalp. Use everyday if your child has frequent sun exposure, swims or has naturally dry or brittle hair
If your child is much older (above 8 years), you can use the hair oil at night time before sleeping. This way, the oil gets to work on your scalp as you sleep and your hair will not look or feel oily in the morning. If applying at night, only apply warm oil to ensure there is no mucous buildup. A massage at night is much more beneficial as it promotes good sleep and allows the oil to work on the scalp at peak regenerative time. Please ensure you protect your child's pillow case if you follow this method, so that excess oil does not stain onto the pillow or bedding. If applying at night, only apply warm oil to ensure there is no mucous buildup.
- Warming the oil slightly before application helps faster penetration into the scalp. Warm the oil by placing itin a small steel container and placing this container in a larger vessel of boiling water. Do not heat the oil directly if you plan to heat and apply everyday.
- Watchouts: Oil is kapha promoting and cooling to the system. If your child is prone to frequent colds, reduce the amount of oil used, and only after warming the oil.
Hair washing with everday / twice a week oiling:
- The whole point behind frequent oiling is to give your child's hair and scalp frequent doses of natural herbs and oils in order to support the hair system which may have been weakened. Most of us are now unused to frequent oiling and may find leaving oil on our hair uncomfortable. If your child feels this way, reduce the amount of oil per application to a level she is comfortable with. Even 3 - 4 drops of oil per application is beneficial esepcially if followed up with a gentle scalp massage.
- If your child is desperate to wash the hair after oiling, rinse with plain water and NO product. While rinsing the hair, work the scalp well to ensure that the follicles are stimulated and deadcells and dirt is dislodged well. Your child may rinse with plain water every single day if it is required.
- If your child plays in the open or sweats profusely or is exposed to a lot of dust, please rinse the hair with plain water every day. If you feel that the scalp is accumulating dirt, please wash it with one of the Krya hairwash products. A dirty scalp tends to catch fungus, accumulate bacteria and dead cells and is not healthy, so ensure that you keep your child's scalp clean.
- WATCHOUTS : Children are naturally prone to kapha based illnesses like coughs and colds. This may increase with a lot of exposure to water, i.e frequent hair washing. Please balance the need to wash with staying healthy. Always follow up with rasnadi chooranam, and ensure the hair is washed in the morning and not in the afternoon / evening to prevent mucous buildup.
- We recommend using the Krya Refershing Hair wash for Kids with this oil
- Hair should be washed only once / twice a week with any product (including a natural product like ours). Overwashing the hair breaks down the oil release system, and makes it dry, brittle and unhealthy. This is esepcially compunded when synthetic shampoos are used as the sulphates and surfactants in synthetic shampoos are EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVE. Synthetic shampoos age and dry out hair very fast and damage hair's cuticular structure making it look dry, limp and it loses its natural shine and gloss. This includes advertised "gentle" synthetic baby shampoos which are full of extremely harsh chemicals.
- Hair should be washed with a natural hairwash as soon as your child's scalp accumulates dirt. A dirty scalp breeds micro organisms and increases the chances of fungal contamination. However, most urban environments like offices and homes are extremely sanitised - so hair does not get as dirty as we think it does. This is esepcially true of babies whose sweat glands are not fully developed - it is important to learn how often your child's hair needs to be washed instead of following a rigid schedule.
- Your child's hair should be well oiled before washing it with a hairwash. This ensures that even in the event of over enthusiastic washing, the hair retains some amount of natural oil and does not get completely dry. For oilimg on the day of hairwash, please warm the hair oil before applying it. The oil temperature should be such that you can easily dip your fingers into the oil without burning yourself and hold the oil in the palm of your hand. If your child is prone to colds, or the season is rainy or cold, heat the oil directly with either of the following: 1/2 clove of garlic, 1/2 pepper corns , 1/2 teaspoon of ajwain. Remove these spices and apply the oil when bearably warm. These spices impart a "hot" quality to the oil reducing the chances of mucous accumulation or head colds.
- Please follow the hair washing tips and techniques given in our hairwash product pages. As recommended , please follow up with a pinch of rasanadi churanam after the hairwash to help keep the scalp warm. Avoid oiling or washing hair if your child has a cold.