What goes into a regular synthetic shampoo?
An average shampoo contains many ingredients that are designed to give you a super convenient and easy wash. For example, a synthetic shampoo uses a syndet surfactant or a synthetic detergent surfactant that gives you copious lather and removes sebum, dirt and grime from our hair and scalp. This syndet could be a lauryl sulphate (SLS), a Laureth sulphate (SLeS) like Sodium Laureth sulphate, or even an amphoteric detergent like Cocamidopropyl betaine and sodium lauraminopropionate.
No matter what syndet is used, the result is usually the same – much more lather than a natural surfactant and extreme cleansing even when using the supposedly “mild” surfactant groups. The result of this over efficient cleansing in the moderate to long term is symptoms ranging from dandruff to hair breakage and dry, lifeless hair. But in the short term , a syndet surfactant gives you the kind of cleansing we are all unfortunately used to and seem to love – loads of thick foam, and an instant “squeaky clean” feeling on hair in a very short period of time.
The second set of chemicals in an average shampoo is the chemical thickener. Carbomer thickeners and Mineral thickeners like silica and Magnesium aluminium silicate give a synthetic shampoo its thick, lotion like texture – this helps create an even , creamy feeling product which is glides easily over hair. Sometimes formulas which claim “extra conditioning” also used synthetics like Cetyl Alcohol and stearyl alcohol to give this cream like feeling on hair.
Foam boosters are the next set of chemicals a shampoo contains. These are usually secondary surfactants added to the primary synthetic surfactant to give you even more foam. These include chemicals like Lauramide DEA or Cocamidopropyl Betaine.
Conditioning agents are the other commonly found set of chemicals in your synthetic shampoo. Ironically these chemical ingredients are added to counteract the harsh effects of the primary surfactant and foam booster which is usually so harsh that hair is left feeling dry and damaged. It is important to note that conditioning agents simply form a synthetic external coating on hair like a plastic wrap. This makes you believe that your hair is smooth and undamaged and is simply a cosmetic illusion as this coating hides the damage within.
How does repeated use of a synthetic shampoo harm hair?
Many of us have come to appreciate the feeling of using a synthetic shampoo. A shampoo and a conditioner give the hair an instant feeling of smoothness. There is no external serration or roughness when we wash or comb our hair.
However, with repeated washing, we notice that the sebum secretion in the hair either becomes excessive or very poor. So as a result we suffer from either extremely oily hair or very dry scalp and hair with constant itching and flaking. There is also a slowing down in hair growth. We may also notice hair breakage, frizziness and hair thinning.
What goes into the Krya classic hairwash?
A synthetic shampoo mainly has 3 kinds of ingredients: a detergent to clean hair, silicones to coat hair and hide the damage caused by the detergent and colours and fragrances to trick you into thinking the shampoo is a luxurious and safe product to use.
The Krya Classic hairwash on the other hand has many different kinds of herbs for various functions: herbs like Azadarichta indica (Nimba) release excess heat, Acacia concinna (Shikakai) gently removes excess oil and dirt, Terminalia chebula (Haritaki) restores the acid mantle of hair, Phyllanthus emblica (Amla) improves hair growth, and Cyperus rotundus (musta) cleans the srotas (minor skin openings) in the scalp well so that the scalp is able to perform all its normal functions.
All these functions are achieved using edible grains and lentils and carefully chosen, hair improving herbs.
What does NOT go into the Krya Classic hairwash:
The Krya Classic hairwash is an ALL-NATURAL, COMPLETELY WHOLE PLANT based product. The product is guaranteed to be synthetics free : Therefore, NO SLS , SLeS, Parabens, Silicones, Synthetic fragrances, Foam boosters, thickeners, colours, microbeads, coal tar, Triclosan, PH adjusters, extracts.
Differences between Ayurvedic hair care and synthetic hair care
There are a few critical differences between Ayurvedic hair care and synthetic chair care. For one, there are no herbs chosen purely for “fragrance”, lather” or “providing a good experience”.
For example, the Krya Classic hair wash uses shade dried red rose petals which have a beautiful natural fragrance. The rose is used in the formulation to balance excess pitta on the scalp, and provide an astringent effect on the scalp so that the hair is able to deeply root into the scalp.
Similarly, an Ayurvedic hair care product will not contain fake ingredients like silicones to hide hair damage. So when you first move to a natural hair care product like one of Krya’s hair washes, your hair may seem much rougher than it did when washing it with a synthetic shampoo. This is merely the truth. What your Krya natural hairwash is revealing is the current , damaged state of your hair.
However, with careful oil application, a good diet and a consistent use of our hairwash products, many of our consumers have observed a reversal in this hair damage. In 1 – 2 months, your hair will start feeling much smoother and in better health as the damaged cuticles have been assisted in repairing themselves.
Also, an Ayurvedic hair wash product like Krya’s hairwash can seem much more difficult to apply on the hair and scalp at first. This is because our hairwash is formulated without synthetic emulsifiers and thickeners which give synthetic shampoo its heft and thickness. As with all good things, it takes a little bit of practice to get used to this format. Along with the obvious hair benefits, by eschewing the use of these synthetics we are also able to reduce the toxic load on your body by using purely herbs, lentils and grains in our hairwash products.
Complete List of Ingredients
What kind of hair does this product work best with
Other recommended regimes for encouraging overall health and hair health
We strongly recommend a regular abhyanga for good body health and hair health. A regular abhyanga detoxifies the body, balances the doshas , and improves skin and hair health dramatically. An abhyanga is recommended to be done on Tuesdays and Fridays for Women and on Wednesdays & Saturdays for Men.
The Krya Abhyanga Oil can be used for Abyanga for adults and the Krya ubtans should be used post abhyanga to wash off the excess oil, and clean the skin extremely well. An abhyanga is best combined with a hair oiling and wash.
Krya, uses a unique cleansing base in all of our natural Shampoo powders. We use whole plant surfactants like Desert Date (Balanites aegyptica), Shikakai (Acacia concinna) and Sopberry (Sapindus trifoliatus). In addition, we also use whole grains like Whole Mung bean (Vigna radiata), Whole black gram (Vigna mungo) . We also use healing clays .
This whole natural cleaning base is mildly acidic . This ensures that the sebum production in your scalp is not taxed. It also means that the entire mixture works WITH and not against the scalp’s natural system.
As the Krya range of natural hairwash powders is formulated differently from synthetic shampoos, you cannot use it like you would use your synthetic Shampoo. It does take a while re-adjusting to this new method of hair washing - Most people take 3 - 4 attempts to get the hang of it.
Method 1 : use like a Mask
Method 2: Use similar to a Synthetic shampoo
1. Make a mildly thick paste with the Krya Classic hairwash - it should look like runny dosa batter and should drip from your hand.
2. Wet your hair extremely well. Takes 3 - 4 mugs of water to do this for shoulder length hair. Synthetic shampoos containing wetting agents, so you can actually use the shampoo almost directly on hair without too much wetting. With a natural hairwash like ours, the hair has to be completely wet - hair tends to swell when fully wet, which makes efficient washing easier.
3. Apply the paste in sections all over the scalp first. Once you have covered the whole scalp concentrate on the hair length. It is not important to thoroughly scrub hair length but it is important to cover scalp and head well as this is the source of dirt, oil and dandruff.
4. If you have oiled your hair, the paste will not have any foam the first time. The product foams only when excess oil and dirt have been removed from your scalp and hair. If you have oiled your hair heavily, please use the product twice. If you have cleaned well the first time, you should see foam during the second application - you can make the paste much more runny for the second time.
5. If you have over washed hair, your hair will squeak when being rinsed. Remember when hair squeaks, it is over-washed – remember to control this the next time you wash.
6. Rinse well in cool water (as cold as you can manage). This seals the hair shaft well - hot water breaks open the hair shaft and fries it (hair is a protein like an egg, so heat cooks it). Use your hand shower or your hands to gently guide the product from your scalp / head down the length of your hair and out. At this stage, unlike a synthetic shampoo, your hair will NOT feel thick, conditioned or synthetically smooth.
7. Towel / air dry your hair. Do not rub vigorously. Do not comb when wet.
8. Once dry, your hair should feel light, clean, without any static. Your scalp should feel soothed and not itchy. as mentioned, your hair should still feel clean 1 / 2 days after washing -and your need to wash should reduce.
Issues you could face when using the Krya all natural Classic Hairwash :
1. The product residue is still in my hair: If you do not rinse thoroughly, you may have some product residue in the hair. This falls out during combing / drying and will do no harm to your hair.
2. My hair is feeling slightly rough and dry, not smooth & silky as it used to with my synthetic-shampoo + synthetic conditioner
3. My hair feels different after using Krya Classic hairwash - not bad, but different from when I shampoo with a synthetic shampoo
4. The product is not foaming at all - how will my hair get clean?
I try to find and use Natural goods as and when possible to the best extent. I have been using the hair-wash for a few years and love it. I use it on an oiled scalp and hair and my hair feels good and voluminous after drying :). I am now a loyal customer to Krya. Thanks folks for putting in all the effort and providing us with quality products.
I purchased 100gms of this product and was so impressed that i got this 200gms pack as well :D . I will continue to use this product as i feel it is more eco-friendly and devoid of chemicals.
Hair gets little dry and rough but it can managed by massaging few drops of oil after hair wash. Thank you Krya team. Looking forward for a continuous usage.
There are no entries.