The benefits of hair oil for your baby:
- At Krya, we recommend the regular and frequent use of a good quality hair oil for adults. However, the practice of oiling in Indian traditional medicine gives many other health benefits apart from a healthy head of hair. Oiling the scalp and hair is considered extremely beneficial to reduce excess pitta in the body. Oiling also helps calms down the entire body, relaxes the nerves and aids in giving sound and restful sleep.
- For babies and children, oiling acts as an extra support to their as-yet under developed body and organ systems. A good hair oil stimulates healthy hair growth, repairs the damage caused by harsh shampoos, and relaxes the body aiding sound sleep.
Difference between the Krya baby hair oil and the Krya adult hair oil
- Our adult range of hair oils contain a slightly different combination of herbs. We also use a much higher proportion of herbs in order to repair the damage often seen on adult hair and scalp.
- The Krya baby & toddler hair oil relies on traditional ayurvedic herbs like Brahmi, which are prescribed for both internal consumption and external application for children. Brahmi helps boost memory and aids neurological development. It also relaxes and cools the scalp and removes stress and excess pitta. This hair oil also has a much higher proportion of cold pressed, organic base oils compared to our adult hair oils.
How the Krya baby & toddler hair oil is made :
- The Krya Baby & Toddler Hair Oil is made using a classical 3-part Ayurvedic method combining Taila ( oil ) , Kashayam ( Aqueous Extract ) and Kalpa ( paste) .This is a method unique to Indian traditional medicine, where the nutrients inside herbs are extracted in both water and oil - this ensures that every part of the herb is extracted into the oil, giving you an oil which is both powerful and "sookshma" (capable of penetrating even the minute cells). This process alone takes us between 6 - 8 hours of constant manual stirring to ensure the oil mainatins a perfect consistency and the herbs do not get burned.
- After processing the base oil and base herbs, we further add raw, cold pressed , organic oils and let the herbs steep for more time to ensure their nutrient properties are fully transferred to the oil. This cold infusion process takes us a further 7 days - so every batch of oil takes us 8 days to manufacture. At the end of the hot processing and the cold infusion process, the texture of the oil changes and the oil is extremely different from its basic nature - so even though heavy oils like sesame and coconut are used, the end oil is much lighter, less sticky and penetrates hair and scalp much faster than the base oil.
- Herb Infused Oil: Forest collected Brahmi, Organic Indian gooseberry, Organic Yellow Eclipta, Forest collected nutgrass, Organic Moringa, Organic hibiscus flower processed in cold pressed and organic oils (Coconut, sesame)
- Base Oil - Organic cold pressed Coconut Oil ,Organic cold pressed Sesame Oil
- Traditionally, hair is never left un-oiled. This protects hair from the sun, makes it easy to manage, and keeps it from becoming dry.
- Massage a few drops of the Krya Baby hair oil every other day into baby’s scalp.
Unlike the Adult hair oils, we recommend baby’s hair be massaged in the daytime before the heat sets in and not at night.
- Watchouts: Oil is kapha promoting and cooling to the system. If baby is prone to frequent colds, reduce the amount of oil used, and only apply warm on baby's scalp.
- Use your fingertips and not your nails to massage baby's scalp. Cutting your fingernails before a scalp massage ensures that the scalp does not get cut / scratched by your finger nails. Concentrate on problem areas like cradle cap etc whien applying the oil.
- Hair should be washed only once / twice a week with any product (including a natural product like ours). Overwashing the hair breaks down the oil release system, and makes it dry, brittle and unhealthy. This is esepcially compunded when synthetic shampoos are used as the sulphates and surfactants in synthetic shampoos are EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVE. Synthetic shampoos age and dry out hair very fast and damage hair's cuticular structure making it look dry, limp and it loses its natural shine and gloss. This includes advertised "gentle" synthetic baby shampoos which are full of extremely harsh chemicals.
- Hair should be washed with a natural hairwash as soon as baby's scalp accumulates dirt. A dirty scalp breeds micro organisms and increases the chances of fungal contamination. However, most urban environments like offices and homes are extremely sanitised - so hair does not get as dirty as we think it does. This is esepcially true of babies whose sweat glands are not fully developed - it is important to learn how often your baby's hair needs to be washed instead of following a rigid schedule.
- Baby's hair should be oiled before washing it with a hairwash. This ensures that even in the event of over enthusiastic washing, the hair retains some amount of natural oil and does not get completely dry. For oilimg on the day of hairwash, please warm baby's hair oil before applying it. The oil temperature should be such that you can easily dip your fingers into the oil without burning yourself and hold the oil in the palm of your hand. If baby is prone to colds, or the season is rainy or cold, heat the oil directly with either of the following: 1/4 clove of garlic, 1/2 pepper corns , 1/4 teaspoon of ajwain. Remove these spices and apply the oil when bearably warm. These spices impart a "hot" quality to the oil reducing the chances of mucous accumulation or head colds.
- Please follow the hair washing tips and techniques given in our hairwash product pages. As recommended , please follow up with a pinch of rasanadi churanam after baby's hairwash to help keep the scalp warm. Avoid oiling or washing hair if baby has a cold.