We have been speaking about the right skin care to be followed by Pitta prakriti skin and also understanding some of the issues Pitta prakriti skin faces like open pores, clogged skin, oily T-zone, blemishes, scars and pits, etc. We also have been looking at the importance of sebum and sweat in skin care, and how food must be properly chosen and properly eaten , in order for skin health to be at its best.
We saw a detailed post last week on how Pitta prakriti skin should be cleansed and nourished. As discussed, Pitta prakriti skin is sensitive and easily irritated by many things, provoking the sudden appearance of acne, and reddish rashes. When choosing skin care products for Pitta prakriti skin we must always look for a balance of 3 functions: cooling, soothing and balancing Pitta, gentle cleansing and unclogging without irritating or provoking extra sebum production and complexion evening and blemish reducing.
So here is a quick re-cap of how normal – oily skin (Pitta prakriti) skin is to be cleansed and cared for:
- Cleanse only twice a day – once in the morning and once at night
- During the day if the skin feels / looks oily, do not use a cleansing wipe. Instead splash clean, cold water on your skin and pat dry with a clean cotton face towel. Do not use microfiber based cleansing cloths or cleansing wipes on Pitta prakriti skin. These tend to dry out the surface of skin, provoking aggressive oil secretion, making skin even more prone to break-outs.
- Do not touch your face, especially to pick at zits. Most of our devices (smartphones, keyboards, and laptops) are full of the sebum and oil we have transferred from our skin. This is a microbe trap. If you keep touching your skin (after touching these things), you will keep on transferring fresh microbes to your skin, therefore encouraging breakouts.
- Do not skip your night cleansing routine. This is especially true for Pitta prakriti skin. Even if you think you have not been exposed to pollution (especially if you have driven to work in an air-conditioned car, and are further working in an air conditioned office), you will be surprised how much dirt and grime infiltrates your skin. Also office air-conditioning ducts and vents are notoriously dirty and the filters are not cleaned as often as they should be. So your skin is exposed to a whole lot of clogged, dirty, recycled air. If you skip your night cleansing routine and go to sleep, your pores will be clogged and start looking wider and wider.
- Apply a good, natural, balanced skin moisturiser at night. We recommend using the Krya Classic skin oil which is formulated with skin balancing herbs and oils like clove, Neem oil, papaya, vetiver, Sariva etc. This combination of herbs helps dries out excess oil, cools skin, improves and evens out skin tone, brightens the complexion and nourishes Pitta prakriti skin. This oil is NOT recommended for skin that is prone to dryness, mature skin, etc. These skin conditions require one of our other facial oils.
- Apply a good, nourishing, skin balancing facial mask once a week. The Krya classic face mask is what is recommended for pitta prakriti skin. This mask contains Shothahara (inflammation reducing) herbs like Arjuna, Khadira, which are recommended for Pitta prakriti skin. It also contains many blemish correcting, pitta balancing and complexion brightening herbs like Manjishta, Ela (cardamom), Bilwa, etc. Continued, regular use of the mask helps balance and nourish Pitta prakriti skin.
- Follow all the pitta pacifying measures suggested: eating meals on time, eating the right food for your prakriti, eating the right amount of food and not overloading digestive capacity, oil application on the scalp, etc.
- Switch off once you come back to work. This is critical to balance stress and mood aggravation which in turn can throw your hormones out of whack. We recommend an evening calming routine which could include yogic poses like shavasana, wearing cool, pastel colours, meditation, and a screen free evening.
- Krya Classic face wash with Green Tea & Chamomile – gently but thoroughly cleanses Pitta prakriti skin
- Krya Classic Skin Oil with Manjishta & Chandana – nourishes and balances Pitta prakriti skin
- Krya Classic face mask with Bael fruit & Guava – to cool, and balance Pitta skin
- Krya Classic Skin balancing system – face (Face wash, Skin Oil + Face mask at a slightly reduced price)
- Krya Classic Bodywash with Rosemary & Cassia flower – recommended for pitta prakriti to cleanse skin thoroughly, balance Pitta and reduce body odour